Monday, December 8, 2008

The reason for Christmas

Christmas is upon us and for the first time, my four year old is finally able to understand that it's not just about presents. He is genuinely excited to help put up decorations and pick out presents for OTHER people. It's been a lot of fun.

We pulled out our decorations box and lights. He was quite giddy with the excitement of it all. Our tree is only about 6 inches high and holds about three regular sized ornaments. But this did not deter my little helper's enthusiasm. We flattened out the branches of our little tree and put on it's miniature ornaments. Then my elf found all the glittery, expensive ornaments his father and I received as wedding presents. I quickly steered him away from those to the lights I wanted to put up outside. We continued our work, got the lights up and was almost done. Then my sweet little angel found my grandmother's nativity scene. And asked, “Is this Jesus?” I replied, “Yes, it is. Do you know what Christmas is for?” He responded, “It's for Jesus' birthday.” Pregnant pause... “And presents.” Maybe we have some more work to do on that one.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you!

No comments: